31 May 2019

Late Spring Holiday, 31 May

I was overtired last night and didn't sleep too well, which was annoying as I knew we would have to do quite a lot of walking today. However, paracetamol settled the worst of my aches and pains, and I did sleep in the motor home!

After using the services, we headed off towards Terezin, where the infamous ghetto was situated. Most of the town seems to be a museum, and you'd have needed a great deal more energy than I had available to see it all, so we walked into the town and decided to visit the ghetto museum, detailing the history of, and life in, the ghetto, and how towards the end of the war it was used as a transit camp to the extermination camps and so on. I wish I could think that nothing so ghastly could ever happen again, but....


When we had finished in the museum it was lunch time and we had a traditional Czech meal of pork and dumplings, mine in a bed of cabbage with caraway seeds which was lush. The dumplings were interesting - they looked and tasted like ordinary slices of white bread, and a quick Google confirmed that this is more or less what they are, only boiled rather than baked. I must try this at home.

After lunch, and an ice cream from a stall in the car park, we headed on and stopped somewhere for the Swan Whisperer to go somewhere and do something that I expect he did tell me but I was asleep. I do know it involved a ferry across the Elbe, and there was a very busy train line where we were parked, but he has taken some pictures which I hope he will post.

When he came back we had a cup of tea and then drove on to Dresden, where we grabbed almost the last space in the aire! The SW is getting supper.

4 comments:

  1. You can get the Czech dumplings (fresh or frozen) at Wood Green Market. Probably somewhere closer to you too....
    or you can buy a packet...(also in the UK)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I imagine a white bread mix would work as well as anything, though? But I must see if they can be got nearer home....

      Delete
    2. I don't think it would Annabel, they really have a different texture to bread if made properly.

      There are many kinds of Czech dumplings and I am happy to take them or leave them. Czech potatoes knock them into a cocked hat in my opinion (and knock British potatoes into the same place :-) )

      Three kinds here: http://www.czechspecials.cz/recepty/prilohy/ceske-knedliky?lang=en-us

      Delete
    3. I tried them with a white bread mix, just adding an egg, and it worked beautifully, although it was difficult to knead. But boiling them worked well, and reheating next day even better! But then, I do like them - for occasions.

      Delete