20 July 2019

Lambeth Country Show 2019

This time last year, the Swan Whisperer and I went to the Lambeth Country show for the first time in many years.  But, as I said at the time, "If I had been by myself, I'd have spent a lot longer looking at the various shops and stalls, but of course the Swan Whisperer doesn't really care for that sort of thing."  This year, however, the Swan Whisperer had another engagement, so once the Tour de France had ended for the day, I decided I would go down and enjoy all the stalls and shops!

And I did!  As last year, there is a big perimeter fence, and you mayn't take open bottles of drink, but there are standpipes where you can fill your water bottles.  And, rather like at the Christmas markets in France, if you buy a drink they charge you a deposit on the glass (it's not glass, it's reusable plastic) and if you return it, you get your £2 back - although you could, of course, keep it as a souvenir of your day.

I wandered all round the stalls - lots of African fabrics and crafts.  I remember that back in the day I used to buy Indian cotton skirts - I still have some - and things like that, but the only thing that really tempted me was a butterfly-print shirt.  And maybe an African cotton wrap.... but I didn't succumb.  The only thing I did buy was a 2-pint bottle of cider to bring home.  And some gyoza and noodles to eat on site, also some fruit salad and apple juice.  I had wanted to try a Buddha Bowl,
but the queue was rather long and slow-moving, so I didn't bother, and the dumplings were very good!

I also visited the farm (of course) where there were the alpacas
and a very splendid tom turkey that I couldn't get a good photo of!

And then home on the bus, pleasantly tired.

No comments:

Post a Comment