04 September 2019

Early autumn holiday, 4 September 2019

Freudenberg

This morning we were our usual lazy selves and it was gone 10 before the Swan Whisperer went for another walk along the river he likes so much and I walked to DM (a German drugstore chain, like Superdrug only more so) and then to Lidl. It was a very pleasant walk, only had I known there was a Netto in the same car park as the DM, I'd have suggested we went there as our first stop and saved myself for what was to come.

The SW had decreed that we were going to visit Köln, and had found a P&R on the outskirts of the city, from which one could get a tram or a train into the city proper.

The first time I visited the city was almost exactly 49 years ago, and it wasn't until I re-read a piece I had written at the time that I discovered we had been taken on a cable car across the Rhein. I had absolutely no memory of any such thing, but it was still there, so we went on it. Much better value for money than the Dangleway, and lovely views across the river. 



We wished, when we got to the other side, that we had our swimming things with us, as there was a spa bath which looked lovely. However, we didn't, so we contented ourselves with a walk in the park before returning. 

We then went to the Hauptbahnhof and the SW had a very quick look at the Cathedral before we caught an S-Bahn back to the P&R (and we would have got a tram had we known the lift was not working - my knees do not like stairs. 

I fell asleep during the rather slow, rush hour drive to this little town, which I believe has some pretty houses to look at tomorrow. Sadly, the museum is only open at weekends, but I expect we shall have a pleasant walk. 

No comments:

Post a Comment