10 February 2020

Moselle Valley, 9 February

Going away in February is often a mistake. But we do it, anyway. Going away in the middle of a named storm is a mistake, but we do that, too.  And although we hadn't originally planned to go away in February this year, we really wanted a chance to get thoroughly used to the new machine. 

So yesterday afternoon we set off to Folkestone in howling winds and pouring rain, crossed the Channel in the relative peace of the Tunnel - the only route that was still working, and then another couple of hours' driving in howling winds and pouring rain, this time in the dark. It was the Swan Whisperer who had chosen our stopping-place, not me! I spent the entire time rigid with terror, no chance to doze off, but the SW seems to have enjoyed himself.

Then the aubergine I'd saved for supper was long past its best, but I found I wasn't hungry anyway, so the SW had most of my share. And it was stormy most of the night, with the van shuddering in the wind. I think I got a little sleep in the lulls!

Today it is still very windy, but it has, at least temporarily, stopped raining and the sun is trying to come out so the SW has gone to blow away the cobwebs before we set off on another very long drive, stopping at a supermarket en route. 

No comments:

Post a Comment