01 October 2023

Early autumn holiday, 1 October 2023

Saint-Hilaire-de=Brens

Not a good day today; I woke up with a splitting headache and feeling slightly feverish, which I hoped would go away if I ignored it. Alas, that was not to be, and although I should have loved to have gone to the local market, I simply couldn't find the energy!

So we used the services and set off. I hadn't realised that we would be retracing our steps a lot of today, something I always hate doing and would not have done had I realised. Which I didn't until the Swan Whisperer said he had marked the sports ground where we had spent the night as a good place to listen to our Church service and have lunch. 

Which also didn't work out as planned. The Satnav kept telling us to come off the N95, and we kept saying "No!" Unfortunately, the Satnav knew best as all of a sudden there was a height limit of 2m6, which is fine for a car but not for a motor home. We discovered later we could possibly have been let through - it is mainly to stop too many lorries going down a very steep slope - but as we didn't know that at the time, we thought better not. So we turned round and then were directed up the most horribly narrow road, all hairpin bends with steep drop-offs, just the kind I hate, and when we finally got down to the main road again we discovered that I had misprogrammed the stop (we had reset the Satnav when we turned round as it was having conniption fits by then), and I'd only been and gone and sent us to the launderette instead of the sports ground! Anyway, the SW sorted that and at one stage we had his phone and the Satnav telling us which way to go. 

We had been trying to listen to our church service, but it was impossible to hear against the road noise, and by the time we got parked up it was practically over. I thought I'd go for a leg-stretch around the playing-fields as I didn't really want any lunch, but couldn't remember the way I'd been the other day, and didn't really want a long walk, anyway. 

I did manage a scrap of cheese for lunch, and two big glasses of the German iced tea I like really helped. It's white tea, flavoured with elderflower, and not too sweet the way, for instance, Liptonice or Fuze Tea is. 

After which, I dozed while we drove back on the main road and up the motorway, and felt a lot better when I woke up. We are at a France Passion farm not that far from Lyon, and the people are so nice. They have been celebrating Monsieur's mother's 95th birthday, with 76 people in the village hall, 22 of which were her great-grandchildren! 

It is a duck farm, which also has lamb and chickens and stuff. And a cat! And I am feeling a lot better and hoping to get a good walk round the village of Cremieu tomorrow, where there is a mediaeval centre. 

No comments:

Post a Comment