22 December 2022

Festive Fairy Tale, 22 December 2022

Day 2: Koblenz 

I don't know how they expected you to sleep when the night contained such excitements as going through locks on the Main (with two sleepy geese as lock-keepers' assistants), and going along the Rhine past towns and villages, factories and wooded hills. What, we could have closed the curtains? That would be too dull! Anyway, I didn't sleep that well! 

So this morning we arrived in Koblenz while we were getting up, and by the time we went to breakfast, we were moored. Breakfast runs 07:30-09:00 or thereabouts - huge buffet with lots of different choices. 

After breakfast we got our acts together and reported, as scheduled, at 09:45 for our trip up to the Ehrenbreitstein fort and then a walking tour of the old town. The first part was in a coach, up to the fortress, with extremely knowledgeable local tour guides who told us about the history of the town, how it was primarily a bunch of fort to stop the French invading up the Moselle... And we had a lovely walk round the fort with our guide explaining all the defensive mechanisms that were in use. Not that they were ever needed, but they might have been! 

When the tour was over, we got the bus back down to the Altstadt, going through the Neustadt en route. There we left the coach and walked round a bit, with the guide pointing out things we might otherwise have missed. We did get to peep inside the Jesuit church (no longer run by Jesuit, but by another Order) that we hadn't gone into last time. Then the tour guide left us by the road that ran down to the river, and 5 minutes later we were back on board. 

Lunch came next; we opted for the buffet rather than another 3-course meal (that's for tonight!), and it was lovely. Only there was rare roast beef, and I didn't notice until I was on my way out, and didn't quite like to grab a slice to eat with my fingersI Oh well, there is always tomorrow! 

A nap was then very necessary, and I had hoped to go out again later, but wasn't going to happen, so the SW went out for a much longer walk than he would have done with me, and bought me a pair of headphones while he was at it - the "Vox Boxes" are not Bluetooth enabled, and I can't wear the earbuds provided. They gave me a different kind, which I also couldn't wear, but was able to attach to the leg of my specs with a twist of wire. Not ideal, though, so proper headphones will work much better. 

In a bit, we will go and listen to the "Port talk" on Mainz, tomorrow's destination, and then it will be dinner time. I don't fancy any of the evening entertainment, so we'll probably have an early night! 

No comments:

Post a Comment