27 February 2023

Early spring holiday, 27 February 2023

Gastes, Landes, France. 

When the alarm went off this morning, Google kindly told us that the temperature was hovering around zero and the wind-chill factor made it feel like -6! Needless to say, we decided to postpone going for a walk. A pity really, as I should have liked to have seen round Cartelègue, it looked like a pretty little village. 

However, this was not to be. We didn't really hurry over breakfast and tidying up, and it was past 10:00 before we headed on. We drove into Blaye and first went to an E Leclerc for diesel and fresh milk - Lidl and Aldi don't sell that here, only long-life, which the Swan Whisperer won't touch. However, I wanted to go to Lidl, as the coupons here looked nice, and I wanted to see what they had. Needless to say, only 3 of the advertised offers appeared to be available, and one of them didn't seem worth it, but I did get two of them. I also got some other bits and bobs we needed, and two sweaters - I had stupidly brought only cardigans that don't do up, and keep getting draughts down my front. Even with sweaters, I'm cold, and am sitting wrapped in two rugs and seriously debating filling my hot-water bottle! I could, I suppose, turn on the heating, but the SW is out for a walk and I don't quite like to when he isn't there. 

Anyway, we then drove into Blaye and had a lovely walk round the Citadelle there, stopping for lunch in a random creperie. The crepes were okay - slightly under-seasoned, and the presentation could have been better, but the helpings were huge and good value for money. After that, we were stuffed, so the SW made himself a coffee before we headed south again to this village called Gastes beside the Lac de Biscarosse. The aire is very nice, and quite empty so far, but would be nicer if the electricity worked! 

No comments:

Post a Comment