28 February 2023

Early spring holiday, 28 February 2023

Hossegor-Soorts, Landes, France. 

The Swan Whisperer went for a run this morning, so breakfast, by the time he had showered and changed, was not until 09:15. After it, we both went for a walk along the lake and round the village. All very nice, but unfortunately I had neglected to check my smartwatch and it ran out of charge about 200m into the walk! I have been bewailing having forgotten to pack a beanie, as it is so cold, but realised this morning that I did have a pashmina, which I wore over my head, hijab-style, and crossed over my chest. That made a great deal of difference! Also, I don't think it was quite as cold this morning, although there was still a pretty brisk wind.

So it was about noon when we actually set off. We went a little back on ourselves first of all, to go to a large supermarket nearby - Intermarché, I think. While I was shopping, the SW found a nice place to stop for lunch outside the church in the village of Pontenx-Les-Forges. 

After lunch, we drove across country to the village of Hossegor where I spent a week or so with a French exchange nearly 60 years ago now. We have passed through it before, and I knew I had no way of recognising where we stayed - which I know was long since sold and quite probably pulled down. Anyway, the one place I did remember was the E Leclerc supermarket, which my host family's mother took me to at least once. It was still there last time, but, sadly, it has now given way to a bigger and better one on the outskirts of town, and the old building is abandoned. 

So we drove around the town a bit, and then we stopped along a huge length of sand dunes, and the SW climbed up to see the see, along with at least one family with small children and and another with a dog! And when he came back, we drove to this aire where we stayed last time we were here. Back then, it was half-price in the off season, but still provided everything one might need in the way of services, electricity, WiFi, etc. Of course, it has now been taken over by the ubiquitous Camping-Car parks and no reduction! Still we do have electricity and more than 10 minutes free WiFi! I resented, last night, paying €11 for no more (except 10 minutes' free WiFi) than I had got for free the previous two nights. 

No comments:

Post a Comment