09 June 2023

70th birthday trip, Friday 9 June

The Swan Whisperer went for a run this morning, and came back to a hotel breakfast that was even more delicious and copious than the one In Stockholm! I am going to put on an awful lot of fat this holiday, I can see it coming. 

After breakfast, we did a tidy-up and sort-out, and then went into town. Unfortunately, while the hotel location has the most superb views over Oslo, the road down to the nearest T-bane (metro) station is very, very steeply downhill, and I was far too worried about how on earth I was going to get back up again to really enjoy seeing Oslo. So in the end the SW abandoned me to sit outside a café and drink strawberry lemonade while he did a brief explore. I spent the entire time trying to fill in a compensation claim to Inter-rail for the bus fare tomorrow. I don't know whether they will agree. However, SR are going to compensate me for the delay on Tuesday, so that's something. 

Anyway, we bought some rolls in the café and then headed back to the T-bane. I suggested we go right to the end of the line to eat them, and then come back down to the T-bane stop before ours, which might be more downhill and less steep. So we did.

The end of the line was near the Rose Castle, which apparently memorialises the German occupation during WWII. We didn't go in, but did treat ourselves to an ice at the café there. Unfortunately, what the Swan Whisperer (and I) thought was dark chocolate turned out to be licorice, but he ate it anyway and I let him have a bite of my luscious strawberry lolly to take the taste away.

We then got the T-bane down to the stop before the nearest one, which was not much further and the path a lot easier. When we got to the hotel, the path led alongside the underground car park, so we nipped in there and used the lift straight into the hotel lobby! 

After which, as if he had not had enough exercise for one day, the SW decided to go for a hike by himself, and I had a bit of a nap. When he came back and had had another shower, we had dinner in the hotel restaurant. He had a burger and beer, and I had cod in some sort of luscious sauce with rosé wine, and very good it was, too! Then we wandered out on the terrace for awhile, taking photos of the superb view over Oslo, and of a robot lawn-mower, and so, as Pepys says, to bed! Photos on Facebook, as per usual. 

No comments:

Post a Comment