11 June 2023

70th birthday trip, Sunday 11 June

I woke up early, and decided to put on my dressing-gown and slippers and take a load of laundry downstairs to the facilities provided, which are not only free to use but they also have an iron and ironing-board, should you wish to use that.  And detergent capsules are there to be used! 

Unfortunately, the door lock chimes very loudly when you open it, so I woke the Swan Whisperer, which I had had no idea of doing! Anyway, I made tea and then washed and dressed to go and put the washing in the dryer before anybody else wanted it. Someone had put their stuff in to dry overnight, but it was dry so I took it out and folded it, although the Swan Whisperer, who went down to get ours when the drying cycle had finished, said it was still there!

There is an Anglican church here, which I learnt was built in the last century to cater for seamen, mostly Scots (so why Anglican rather than Presbyterian?). We decided to attend worship there, and, as it was a lovely day, we walked - about 20 minutes. Sadly, the minister was ill, so the service was taken by a worship leader and had to be Morning Prayer rather than the Communion we had hoped for. The minister had emailed her sermon to the worship leader, who read it on her behalf, rather well, I thought.

We were not the only people "passing through" Gothenburg at the service, and it was good to chat to an American couple over a cup of tea afterwards. Then we went on to explore the waterfront, and found a café in which to eat fish and chips, and then took various buses and trams to see where they went - I fell asleep on the final tram and missed the city centre, to my annoyance!

After a cup of tea the Swan Whisperer went out to explore on his own, and got some sandwich stuff in Lidl for tonight and tomorrow. He is now back and relaxing, and I have pretty much repacked my stuff. 

No comments:

Post a Comment