28 August 2019

The Moon, Mithras and Money!

So today was the last major Grandparent Duty day of the summer holidays - we do have them on Monday, but they will be helping us load the motor home for our next trip - and we hadn't seen the boys for two weeks while they were first in Italy and then staying with their other grandparents.

We couldn't meet at Warren Street, because the northbound Victoria Line is not stopping there pending escalator works, so we met in the courtyard of King's Cross.  First port of call was a Starbucks for coffee for the Swan Whisperer and me, and juice for the boys, and then we headed round the corner to the Institute of Physics where they had an exhibition about the moon landings just over 50 years ago.  There was an exhibition, of sorts - placards round the walls - but what there really was was educational activities for the children.  You could make a model showing how the moon orbits the earth and the earth, in turn, orbits the sun - I think The Boy already knew that, but it was news to Boy Two, who enjoyed making the models.  I, meanwhile, made a model of the moon, rather badly!  There was lego - you had to build your choice of three models wearing thick astronaut gloves, and then you had to do so with only your left hand, and/or with one eye closed, and/or only manipulating one piece at a time, to show the kind of conditions the astronauts laboured under.  And there was a lunar background you could take selfies in front of. 
(taken by The Boy).

When we had done all that, and sat on the sofa to read some of the books provided, suitable for all ages (I think The Boy might have enjoyed doing this a little longer), we headed off and took the Underground to Bank.  However, I don't know what we did wrong, but we ended up going up an enormous staircase that it said at the top had 128 steps.  My knees and my stamina definitely didn't like that, and I was fit for nothing by then, so we had to find somewhere to lunch.  The trouble was, all the places that sold nice-looking food seemed to be take-away only, and all the sit-down places didn't do very nice food!  I did see other branches of the nice-looking chains later, which had plenty of seats, but that's sods' law.  Anyway, we ended up in Leon, where the boys abandoned all thought of healthy eating and chose chicken nuggets (The Boy with a side order of chicken meze), while the Swan Whisperer had a chicken salad, and I had a halloumi wrap with a side of crushed pea salad, which I found I didn't really want, although it was delicious.  I shared it with the SW.

On our way to find somewhere to eat, we passed signs to the Mithraeum, and decided to call in.  Slightly daunted by being asked whether we had booked - we hadn't, of course - but luckily we didn't need to as it was fairly quiet.  We spent the first twenty minutes helping the boys find various objects on the display of artefacts, and then we descended to the lower floor, where we waited to be allowed down to the Temple proper, which was fabulous!  We know it's not authentic - it has been rebuilt a couple of times in a couple of locations - but it's still impressive.  Mostly, I think, because of very clever lighting.

Anyway, when we had finished there, we went up to the Bank of England to visit its museum, which I didn't think was as interesting as it might have been, but the Boys both seemed to enjoy it.  I think I was just too tired.  I was very amused at Boy Too saying, "Oh Gran, I was reading that!" when I went on to the next screen on a computer exhibition.  I promptly apologised and went back!  Both boys enjoyed the gold bar you were allowed to touch, and then we enjoyed a video about the gold vaults.


I think I would enjoy the museum more had I been less tired.  I let the SW take the boys home, and I, meanwhile had awful trouble finding the bus stop for the 35, but I did at last, and dozed comfortably all the way home.  Memo to self: Don't go out without paracetamol another time!

No comments:

Post a Comment