21 July 2020

Lockdown Lifted, 21 July.

It was just beginning to get light when the Swan Whisperer woke me by clambering out of bed to close the skylights as it was raining! Only a very localised shower, and by the time we came properly awake an hour or so later, the sun was out. So the SW went for a 2-hour walk before breakfast! I had half thought of going to explore the village and find a bakery while he was out, but by the time I got up, it was a bit late for that! So I got breakfast once he returned.

I was very annoyed as the supermarket we decided to go to had no parking for motor homes, so I ended up going to Lidl, which didn't have any mushrooms, thus effectively foiling my plans for mushroom risotto for dinner. I got some trout instead.

The drive was not nearly as bad as yesterday's, despite millions of hairpin bends, but it was a 2-lane road so it didn't matter meeting lorries on their way down. Mind you, endless cyclists, but then there always are on French mountain roads!

We arrived here at Valloire in nice time for lunch and then we both flaked out for a bit. First I, and then the SW, went out for an explore, and to visit the giant straw sculpture competition that we can see outside our window (photos on Facebook). This is very much a ski resort, and is the highest place we've ever slept - 1,565 metres (although I've been to Boulder, Colorado, which I think is higher). Certainly the highest in the Alps, though.  Here are today's mountain views! 


And tomorrow we leave Savoie via the Col du Galibier and the Col de Lauteret to enter the Dauphiné. 

No comments:

Post a Comment