14 October 2021

From Saleilles, 14 October 2021

A much better day today.  We were not moved on during the night, nor in the morning, either! It was a very cold night and there was a sharp frost, I had to pull my rug over me and a hot-water bottle at my feet!  Bt the heating is incredibly efficient in the bedroom and bathroom area, so it soon warmed up this morning. 

The Swan Whisperer went and bought croissants from the local boulangerie, and after breakfast we drove the few minutes to the daytime motorhome park at the Panoramic du Puy de Dome.  This is a little train that takes you up the Puy de Dome, almost to the top, and you can walk up from there. 

It was seriously lovely - wonderful views, my photos can't possibly do it justice.  But bitterly cold; the top of the Dome is 1,450 above sea level and een at the bottom railway station it's over 900 metres. 

Sadly, my silly lungs went back on me as I tried to go up the steps to the top, and apart from being out of breath I started to feel really sick, so stopped 3/4 of the way to the top and went back down, leaving the SW to go the rest of the way.  When he got down, we wandered around a bit, but there was a silly amount of time before the next train down - not enough time to get a coffee, but too much to just go and sit on the platform.

But eventually it was time to get the train back down the mountain, by which time I was feeling a lot better, but still very aware that I'd been badly out of breath, and we had a coffee before we went back to the motor home.

We drove about 20 km to a supermarket en route, which was the anchor for an enormous shopping mall.  I did a small shopping, and then we had lunch before heading up the motorway to this little town called Mehun-sur-Yèvre (I slept all the way) where we are parked up by a disused canal, which is absolutely lovely, and the trees are suddenly all autumnal.  The SW has gone for a walk (he is just on his way back, I can see him) and I hope to do the same in the morning. 

No comments:

Post a Comment