10 October 2021

To Saleilles, 10 October 2021

This morning we got up bedtimes and when I had showered and dressed, I went to the boulangerie across the road to buy a croissant for me and a pain au chocolate for the Swan Whisperer which we enjoyed after our boiled eggs. 

Then it was time to go back into Pau, to go to church.  They are still at the stage of asking you to reserve seats if you wish to attend public worship, so I had emailed them the previous day to do so.  We were warmly welcomed, and I think both of us enjoyed the service.  However, there was one awkward moment during the giving of Communion (Bread only, as is usual nowadays).  The chancel had been closed off by the rood screen (although there was a small door left open by the organ) and the actual organ console moved to the middle.  The organist and the soloist were behind the screen, and when it came to receiving, they both pushed their hands through the railing, like beggars - appropriate, I suppose, but it made both the SW and me laugh. 

They can't, of course, serve coffee after church just now, so we set off fairly soon for what is, I think, the 2nd-longest drive of the holiday, to a town called Limoux.  We went via motorway, but it was a fairly scenic one, and every now and then we caught glimpses of the Pyrenees on the horizon!  We stopped fairly soon for coffee, hoping to be able to empty the grey, but he W, who went to investigate, found that the drain was blocked and unusable.  So we went on, and half an hour later stopped for lunch in a rest area, and then we did not stop again until we got here.  

Here is a very nice little aire, with full services (which we have used) and a piece of ground in front of the Aube where either boules or pétanque, I don't know the difference, was being played.  The SW went for a walk and I had planned to go on a short one to reconnoitre the local boulangerie, but somehow that didn't happen.  So I flopped on the bed and reread "Emergency in the Pyrenees" (Well, I had to, didn't I? ) until it was time to get supper.  Which was cod loin with (packet) lemon butter sauce, mashed potato, cabbage and leeks, so we drank some of the white wine we bought from Juigné-sur-Loire, and very good it was, too!  Saleilles tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment