04 June 2022

Oberstdorf and more, 4 June 2022

Today is Saturday, and shops in Germany will be closed not only tomorrow, as is normal, but also on Monday for Whit Monday. So a big shopping was necessary to make sure we had everything we needed (bakeries are open so I hope I can get our Pentecost cheesecake in the morning). There was a Norma not five minutes' walk from where we were parked up, and so I went there. There was also a petrol station - which we couldn't get to in the WoMo as it was the wrong side of the one-way system and it had a large off-licence, or whatever the German equivalent is called, next to it. I couldn't carry a dozen bottles of beer back to the WoMo, so the SW came with me and we bought a dozen bottles, and also a bottle of Pfälzer Landwein, which was less than €2 and may not be drinkable. 

After that, it was time to move on, and because the place I had originally earmarked for us to spend the night looked rather dull, we decided to drive right up to this aire in Hanau, which we have been to before. It was a very long drive, mostly on motorways (thankfully quieter on Saturdays with few lorries) and I slept when I could - it's far too hot to knit. 

When we finally arrived, I went up to see if I could find the bakery we have used before, and then to have a wee look at the Main, which is flowing past this car park. 

We are thinking that we might go to Königswinter again tomorrow, as we like it there and ought not to need services. What we do need, though, is diesel, but there is bound to be somewhere we can get it tomorrow. 

No comments:

Post a Comment