06 June 2022

Oberstdorf and more, 6 June 2022

It is Whit Monday here in Germany, so most shops are not open and people are not at work.  I was surprised how many goods trains were going through Königswinter, both yesterday and this morning.

Meanwhile, as we only had an hour's run today, we decided to go up the Drachenfels this morning on the rack railway that takes people up to the top. It was a steepish pull up to the bottom station from the main railway station, and I was out of breath when we arrived. This would not have mattered, but I had to put a mask on when we got to the station, and being out of breath in a mask is not pleasant!

We had a good look round the top when we got there; gorgeous views over the Rhine in every direction, and you can even just see the spires of Cologne Cathedral.Just, and I think you have to have a bit of an imagination!

I treated the SW to coffee and apple streusel, and I had coffee and mandarin cheesecake. Then we got the train back down (not nearly as many passengers as going up!), and walked down to the river and back to the station along the river.

We set off almost at once and arrived in Düren an hour later, where we used the services and then had a late lunch and then the SW went for a long walk round the town and I had a quiet afternoon reading and playing computer games. 

No comments:

Post a Comment