03 March 2023

Early spring holiday, 3 March 2023

Mas Alart, Saleilles

Well, I did it! I walked all round the lake at Tournefeuille, a distance of almost 5K! This isn't much, but is huge for me, as I haven't been able to do so much since (a) having blood clots in 2017 and then, just as I was pretty much recovered, going down with Covid in March of 2020. I did use my trekking poles to help, mind, but could probably have managed without. Infuriatingly, my smartwatch stopped recording 2/3 of the way round. It has become very unreliable of late, and will be replaced when I get home! 

So after my walk - the Swan Whisperer had run the distance before breakfast, of course - we headed off towards Saleilles, stopping first of all to buy quiches and bread for lunch and then at Carcassonne to eat said quiches. We had travelled on the motorway up until then, but decided to come off and go via Limoux and Quillan, along the lovely D118 and 117. I knew we had gone along the latter about 18 months ago, but had no memory of stopping overnight at Limoux until I reread my blog for that day! It is an amazing road - there are sections cut through rocks, fast dual carriageway sections (none of them very long, though) and pretty little towns and villages along the route. Then suddenly you are in Perpignan and traffic, and then out the other side and going past roundabout and roundabout to get to Saleilles. 

The shop was open when we arrived, and we were recognised and warmly welcomed. We stocked up, needless to say! It is a lot less cold here, although very far from hot. And tomorrow we will be have to go and have a look at the Mediterranean before heading north! 

No comments:

Post a Comment