05 March 2023

Early spring holiday, 5 March 2023

Ussel, Corrèze

It was a bitterly old night again, and a sharp frost this morning. After breakfast, we went on a lovely ramble round La Cavalerie, which has a lovely section inside the ramparts. Lots more photos on Facebook. 

After this, we had planned to drive into Millau, but found in time that the Auchan there isn't open at all on Sundays, so we made a quick trip to the local Spar on the outskirts of La Cavalerie for milk and bread - I scored a lovely fresh baguette, still hot; at lunch I was just eating it by itself, it was so good and fresh! Lucky I picked it up as I went into the shop, though, as by the time I was ready to pay, they had all gone! 

We decided to drive over the Millau viaduct 
instead of going through the town, and then continued up the A75, trying unsuccessfully to listen to our church's Zoom service, but the preacher's microphone wasn't on and we could only hear the hymns, so eventually turned it off and listened to Gospel hymns on YouTube music instead! We came off the motorway to drive up to the Garabit viaduct - quite why we didn't just go into the aire, I do not know, but I wasn't driving! Anyway, we were lucky enough to see the one train a day (presumably there is one in the other direction, too) go over it. 

The Swan Whisperer took it upon himself to change where I had originally planned for us to spend the night, and we are alone in this campsite just outside a town called Ussel, in Corrèze. We are by a lake, and I hope to walk round it in the morning - it is not as big as the Ramée at Tournefeuille. It is called Lac Ponty, which amuses me as when I was at boarding-school, that was our name for the loo!

It was a very scenic drive to get here, and I have taken far too many photographs, which will be in a separate post on Facebook. 

No comments:

Post a Comment