08 March 2023

Early spring holiday, 8 March 2023

Sangatte, Pas-de-Calais. 

This holiday is very nearly over. The drawers, which less than two weeks ago were bursting at the seams with clean clothes, now have just one or two sad garments lying around on the bottom - clean clothes for tomorrow, and the "spares" that have not, thus far, been needed. 

It began to rain last evening while we were parked up at St-André-de-l'Eure, and rained on and off all night. I do rather love lying in bed listening to the rain on the roof! 

I decided to go and buy the bread and croissants for today's breakfast, enjoying such sights as St-André-de-l'Eure had to offer en route. Sadly, the first bakery I came to, the woman greeted me pleasantly enough but then absolutely refused point-blank to take a "foreign" credit card, and was really rather rude. The French have this image of being rude to their customers, but until now I have never found this to be the case. So I went across the road to the local Spar, which had lovely fresh baguettes (still warm) and the croissant and pain au chocolat I wanted, and the young man who served me couldn't have been nicer. 

After breakfast, we used the services and then drove on for what seemed like ages up to Abbeville, so I could do a Last Shop in the Hyper-U there, getting various bits and pieces for my mother to enjoy sharing with my sister as well as stuff for us. By the time I had done that, lunch was really rather late! 

After it, we set off up the motorway in the pouring rain, but just before we turned off to Sangatte, we saw that the ground was covered with snow! We quite thought we had left all that behind in the Massif Central! We knew, of course, that it had been snowing in the UK, but didn't realise it had also crossed the channel. Fortunately the roads and so on were clear, so no problems. 

And so tomorrow we will be packing up and heading home. Unlike our holiday this time last year, we didn't find the spring. It is much later this year, and I regret not having packed warmer clothes! But eventually the spring will come, and in May we hope to be off again to Oberstdorf. 

No comments:

Post a Comment