23 November 2021

Early winter, 22-23 November 2021

Our niece who lives in Germany has a new baby, and (some of) the Christmas markets are on. We are double vaccinated, boostered and flu jabbed.  So we decided to have a last trip before winter really sets in.  

We did all the paperwork for France, Belgium and Germany but so far all we have been asked to show was our vaccination certificates.   I did take a lateral flow test yesterday, and the Swan Whisperer did on Saturday - both negative, of course.  

So, anyway, I was on grandmother duty yesterday (not that this is onerous, these days - I pick up Boy 2 from school, and really that's about it!  Both boys go off on their own concerns and I only see them again when it is time for Boy 2 to get changed for football training!), and meanwhile the Swan Whisperer loaded up the car and went to Sussex to pick up the motor home.  I got a Thameslink from St Pancras to Redhill and we arrived in the station at about the same time.  We had thought to eat in the car park there, but it was pick up/drop off only so we ended up eating our supper at Clackett Lane services. 

The journey went smoothly, although I had trouble checking in as I hadn't noted the booking number (since rectified) and I no longer use the debit card I originally booked the Frequent Traveller tickets on.  Last time, they recognised the number plate and didn't ask for confirmation. However, it got sorted out and we got on our booked crossing, at 20:16.  We parked up at Sangatte for the night, although I didn't sleep very well. 

First port of all this morning was, of course, Carrefour, where I did a shopping and enjoyed looking at the Christmas stuff that the French are so good at.  I loved the traysful of dried fruit and similar dessert options, and will definitely buy one on the way home.   

We had done all the paperwork to cross Belgium and enter Germany, but didn't need it.  We did have to upload our sworn statements to Eurotunnel, but French passport control only wanted to see our vaccination certificates as well as our passports.   Still, I'd rather have the paperwork down and not need it than not have it when wanted. 

It was a long and dreary drive across Belgium in the rain.   We stopped at some random services for lunch and again to fix the wing mirror which had gone off station and not really safe to adjust it when moving.  

Eventually we arrived in Düren, where we have stayed several times before.  The SW needed milk, so when we had had a cup of tea we went to the Lidl which I discovered last time is just round the corner.  I switched my Lidl Plus to Germany and got some coupons (pause to show vaccination certificates to site owner, who was impressed that we'd been boostered).  We were bemused by the variety of Advent calendars on offer - one, I nearly bought, was jams and one very intriguing one was a breakfast one!  

Now back at the motor home for a quiet evening.  We have the heating on and the place is sealed tight, so I think I will open a skylight in the bathroom soon, as it is getting a bit stuffy! 

No comments:

Post a Comment