31 August 2022

Summer Holiday, 30 August 2022

 And so we came home.  First of all, though, we woke up in Bray-Dunes, and after breakfast took ourselves on a leg-stretch to the beach and back.



  Then we used the services for the final time, and set off down the A16 towards Calais.  We had hoped to stop at the big Auchan in the Grande Synthe commercial centre, but there was a traffic jam and we missed our exit, so went straight to Cité Europe and I did a Last Shop in France there.  We had a slightly early lunch, and eventually headed to the Eurotunnel terminus.

We had booked on the 15:20 crossing, and I had hoped we'd get on an earlier one, but even though the traffic wasn't as horrendous as it would have been the previous day, it was still pretty busy, so we had to be on our booked crossing, which was slightly late.  This meant we arrived at No 6 at about 17:15 local time, and then, of course, there was a busy half an hour or so packing up stuff that hadn't already been packed - we had done the bedroom and bathroom stuff earlier.

We had arranged to have supper with my mother - I provided the stew and potatoes, and she provided plum crumble.  And very good it was, too.  But of course we didn't get back to London until nearly 10, which is one reason I didn't blog yesterday.  We only did a bare minimum of unpacking - the stuff to go in the fridge and overnight stuff, basically - and I, for one, was glad to seek my bed.

However, this morning after breakfast I reached for my computer - and there it wasn't! We had totally forgotten that just before leaving for this holiday I'd led a Zoom service from No 6, and had left my computer there.  The Swan Whisperer went totally above and beyond and drove me down to pick it up, and while we were there, we looked in the motor home for a dozen eggs that had unaccountably gone missing.  The supermarket in Belgium had, improbably, had eggs on a BOGOF, so I had bought two dozen, but could find only one of them.  Anyway, no joy - and we did take the opportunity to open the sink cover, which we had forgotten to do.  We did find the eggs when we got back to London - they were hiding in plain sight!

Because the SW had been so kind, I took him out to lunch at the Chalk Restaurant at the Wiston Estate Winery.  This was delicious, if rather expensive - but probably cost less than a return train fare with taxis each way! 



I should explain that normally my mother would have given us lunch, or we would have taken her out to lunch, but it was the one day she had guests, so we literally just grabbed my computer (tidily in a briefcase) and ran!  So it was near on 17:00 when we got back to London, and of course we had missed a whole day of catching up.  Oh well.... I then had to go to the dentist and then there was a flat owners' meeting, but I have left the Swan Whisperer to deal with all that while I catch up.  

No comments:

Post a Comment