11 December 2023

Christmas Markets, 11 December 2023

Today was a day of two halves. The Swan Whisperer went for a run first thing, but took really rather longer than I'd hoped, so we were later setting off than I'd wanted.

Then we were just about to set off when  realised I couldn't find my motorhome keys anywhere, and we spent what felt like an hour but in reality was probably only about 10 minutes looking for them. I finally found them where I thought I'd looked three times already! 

We finally set off for Kehl, in Germany, which is just at the end of the tram line. Ciymapper does work here, but has its blind spots, and we hadn't realised that the quickest way to go would be to take the bus to Étoile Bourse and then change there for the tram. As it was, we took the bus to Montagne Verte, then two trams. And the second tram turfed us all off before the end of the route as someone had been taken ill and they were waiting for the emergency services, but it set off again very quickly, leaving its passengers standing indignantly on the platform! 
However, we did get there in the end! 

We walked down the main shopping drag, calling in at DM and Muller, only I couldn't spend as long as I liked as the SW does so hate shopping, poor man. And Muller didn't have any 4711 shower gel. I know one can get it in the UK, but it's twice the price! Oh well, just have to keep my rapidly-decreasing stash for Sundays! 

Then we went to Edeka and I did some shopping, although I couldn't get the herb blend I wanted. And it was incredibly hot in there, so I didn't even look for mulled wine (which we have loads of at home, anyway) or that lovely elderflower iced tea I like. I had left the SW having coffee, and had an Apfelshorle when I joined him. 

We went back to the motor home in time for a late lunch and a long nap, and then finally pulled ourselves together and headed back into town, although I have a feeling we were both too tired to really enjoy it. We walked back down through the Kléber market to the one outside the Cathedral, and after looking round we treated ourselves to tartes flambées and a drink, followed by pudding. Then we walked back to Étoile Bourse and caught the bus back to the campsite, and just too late to order bread for the morning. Oh well! 

And I am not long for my bed, I can tell you! Probably won't do any walking tomorrow, only a bit of shopping. 

No comments:

Post a Comment