06 August 2024

Summer Break, Tuesday 6 August 2024

Calais, France 

We have driven up today from Tours, which took far longer than it ought to have done. First of all, the Swan Whisperer was convinced the N something-or-other was dual carriageway all the way to Chartres. It wasn't. It was roundabout after roundabout after traffic light after traffic light after speed limit after speed limit, and most of it was single-carriageway with only a bit of dual the whole length.

So it took forever to get to Chartres, and then when we did finally tell the Satnav it could use toll roads, we had to go across from Chartres to Rouen on a dual carriageway. And the first rest area we came to was full, so lunch was very late. I wasn't even very hungry, as I had such a headache!

I had suggested we stop at the Super U in Abbeville to shop, but the satnav took us right past the town and back again, a good 10K or more out of our way, and then when we got there, although we did get diesel, we couldn't find anywhere to park the WoMo, so came away.

I decided the Auchan in Calais would be a good place to shop, but it so wasn't - it had the most hopeless supply of vegetables you ever did see! And no small tins of French peas or even chickpeas, none of the citrus tea that I like.... I did get black pepper Boursin, though, and various other things.

Then to Calais - luckily I'd booked into the aire here, which is now a Camping-Car park, as it is totally full. But it now has electricity, which is nice, and I do like being able to book in advance!

The Swan Whisperer has discovered a light on in the boot, which he has no idea how it came on, or how to switch it off again! He seems to have managed to switch it off by pushing, though. Home tomorrow. I so can't wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment