09 October 2024

Early autumn holiday, 9 October 2024

Chamery, France

I hadn't originally intended for us to stop at Chamery tonight, but when I looked at our route to the place I'd originally earmarked, in Argonne, three places stood out for us that we know and like. The first was Amnéville, which would have been glorious, but which would also have meant a horrendously long drive tomorrow; then there was Les Islettes, which we nearly went for, but Chamery was only half an hour further and we know it's a relatively easy drive tomorrow. Plus it's free which Les Islettes isn't. 

Before we let Landstuhl, we went to an Edeka where I did a Last Shop in Germany; there was also a cheap clothes shop where I bought a couple of grey sweaters (ahem!) and then Woolworth's, which had the sort of shoes that are perfect for tai chi in my size for the princely sum of €1! Rude not to, really. I didn't quite like to use a card for just €1, so also bought another charging cable while I was at it. I would have liked a car plug for the latter, but if they had them, I didn't see them. Anyway, Edeka irritated me by being in the throes of reorganising itself, which meant that it was difficult to find anything. However, I did get most of what I wanted, with the exception of fresh orange juice, but I bought some juicing oranges which will take care of our breakfast needs for the next couple of days. 

It has not, however, been a very easy drive today. We woke up to a lovely sunrise, but "red sky in the morning, shepherd's warning!" and so it proved to be. It has rained on and off most of the day, although it did stop for awhile when we first crossed into France. We stopped at a service area for lunch as there were - when we eventually found them - motorhome services so we could empty our grey water, and after that I fell asleep and only woke up when we came off the motorway.

It has been raining pretty much constantly since we arrived; the Swan Whisperer did go out for a walk, but came back so wet he has had to change into his pyjamas! I am making a large vegetable stew/soup for supper, as it is raw and cold and nasty! This holiday is supposed to be early autumn, but right now it feels very Novemberish! 

No comments:

Post a Comment