01 October 2024

Early autumn holiday, 1 October 2024

Balatonboglár, Hungary

It was SOOOOOO cold this morning! I woke up around 5:30 and had to pull a rug over my duvet. Google said it was 2 C outside, although I think it may have been a little more, so not surprising. But it is not cold enough to use the combined 15-tog duvet, the 9-tog is adequate, and there are rugs if necessary, as it was this morning.

Anyway, the Swan Whisperer put the heating on before he went for his run (only 2k, which is one lap of the running-track in the park), so it was nice and warm when I got up.

After breakfast, we used the services and then headed off. Such a nice aire, not cheap or pretty, and by a very main road, but really, it has all you could want and much more central and cheaper than the campsite. Literally across the road from the park, which I is great.

Anyway, our first port of call was to a huge Tesco Extra, as I had some shopping to do. But oh dear - in most countries, I can power through the shopping as I do at home, only stopping to look at things that are different. But here in Hungary, I had my phone out on Google Translate most of the time.

Some of the things were marked in English, especially the own brands, but not all. I did buy one box of sandwich stuff which I hoped was cream cheese with sausage (intriguing?) and it appears that is exactly what it is!  Delicious, I thought. 

But I had to make sure that I was buying fresh milk, not buttermilk, and what on earth was in those containers (some sort of animal fat or lard, I think)? Anyway, once I had finished shopping, we headed on out through Budapest to the M7 motorway (I have an E-vignette) and drove on it all the way to Balatonboglár! 

We are in a campsite by Lake Balaton, and it is simply gorgeous. I can see over the lake while I am lying on my bed! At least, I can when it is light. 

Tomorrow we leave Hungary, and start a few days in Austria. 

No comments:

Post a Comment