12 July 2019

West Country Adventure, 12 July

I am relieved to report that, although I do have a painful bruise at the top of my left arm, it is not in a place where I lie on it, so I was able to sleep well last night.

We had to get up early this morning and have breakfast quickly so, needless to say, it was the morning (there is usually one each holiday) when I spilt the coffee and the grounds went everywhere and on my t-shirt, necessitating much mopping up and, of course, I had to change. At least at the campsite there was plenty of hot water!

Once breakfast was over I washed up and finished mopping up coffee grounds while the Swan Whisperer emptied the loo and topped us up with fresh water. Unfortunately, we forgot to to up our drinking water which is running a little low. Still, we have enough for night and will be able to get some tomorrow.

We set off, slightly later than we intended, to Exeter, but made up time on the road and were punctual at our friend's. We were able to use the Cathedral car park, which leads into their back garden, such a lovely view of the Cathedral! 

After coffee, our friend, newly qualified as a licenced Cathedral guide, took us all over the Cathedral and pointed out all sorts of things we might have missed, like the minstrels gallery (used once a year at Christmas, apparently) 
and the astronomical clock 
  The choir is Gilbert Scott, which is lovely and the gates into it a more ornate version of the one he did for Clapham Church, and a different set of saints on the pulpit (couldn't photo that, too many people).

After that, time was getting on and she had other visitors coming, so we put said goodbye and drove down to the nearest Aldi, where we had lunch, and I found their famous gun and tonic ice lollies, which I didn't buy as we already had some ice cream and the icebox of our fridge is tiny (next time, perhaps).

Then we drive down to Dawlish and I fell asleep, and then to a pub near Newton Abbott where we are spending the night - the third Britstop of the holiday and the only one where we have another motor home. We decided to eat in the pub, but a slight failure as I ordered Hunters Chicken which was covered in barbecue sauce, which I don't like.
Pudding was nice though, and Amstel beer, which I like. 

No comments:

Post a Comment