31 May 2022

Oberstdorf and more, 31 May 2022

Yesterday started off badly but ended well; today was the other way around. 

The Swan Whisperer said he was going for a run this morning, but somehow he didn't go and didn't go and didn't go, and it was 09:00 before he finally went, saying he would be about 45 minutes. Well, I was hungry by then, and decided that I wasn't going to hang around for him, so quickly dressed and ate my own breakfast and then headed out for the boat pier once again. This time I knew what time it was due to leave, and knew that I had to hurry, but got to the pier just as the boat came into view and a couple of minutes before it actually stopped! 

It was a lovely run, first to Seespitz and then to Pertisau; it took about 25 minutes, I think, but I still had over half an hour in Pertisau before I had to get the bus back. I went to the Steinol shop and bought some shower gel, shampoo and conditioner, which was my main reason for going there, and then pottered around the do-the-tourist shops, being very tempted by a handbag, but decided the quality wasn't good enough for the price they were asking. 

The bus back was one of the random buses that go up to Achenkirch and beyond without you having to change in Maurach. Whichever bus you catch goes all round Pertisau, so you get to see a lot of the town. It stopped for several minutes by the Karwendelbahn (I think the driver went to spend a penny) and then again in Maurach where he got out and proceeded to have either a friendly gossip or a raging argument (difficult to tell from the body language) with the driver of the bus going in the opposite direction! So I was slightly later back to the campsite than I'd planned, expecting to find that the SW had packed up and used the services so we would be ready to go. Only he hadn't, and we had to hurry to do all that and get away before we would owe another day's fees! 

We decided to drive through Austria, but not on the motorways, and it was a lovely drive. But when we got to Bad Reichenhall, it all went pear-shaped. 

I had booked us 3 nights in the campsite - you can do that on the website - and the idea is that you collect a key from the spa which opens the barrier for your reserved place. You also have to pay for parking in the normal way. Well, all well and good, but they do not police it or check that people put the barriers back when they leave, so someone had parked in our space. We parked in someone else's space to go and report to the spa, but they basically said nothing they could do.... Wouldn't you have thought they would have arranged things better? 

So we gave them their key back, and drove down to a car park on the Königsee, which looks as though it will have some lovely things to do in the morning, including a possible boat trip. All the same, I was really looking forward to a couple of days in Bad Reichenhall, and am bitterly disappointed! 

No comments:

Post a Comment