29 May 2022

Oberstdorf and more, 29 May 2022

I was very, very tired this morning, although I had slept fairly well. So I slept through most of today's drive - a pity, because it was a scenic one - only rousing briefly to have lunch somewhere - I have no idea where - and then coming awake properly when we drove into a terrific rainstorm. 

After that, it was not long before we arrived at our campsite, where we were warmly welcomed. It didn't take us long to settle in, and we had a cup of tea before the Swan Whisperer went off for a walk. With the terrifying unpredictability of the weather in the mountains, he had only gone about half an hour when it started pouring with rain and visibility decreased to almost zero. The poor man was soaked and, to add insult to injury, the sun came out again once he got back to the van to change! 

I, meanwhile, had got much wetter in a much happier way, as (new since we were last here, I think) there is a big pool and spa complex a couple of minutes walk away. I didn't fancy the saunas, as they are "textile free" zones, which means you have to be naked, and although I don't particularly mind, one does, in the words of a friend in similar circumstances in the Oberstdorf spa, get bored of counting willies! 

Anyway, the pool section of the complex was lovely. There was a 25m pool for lane swimming if you wanted to do that - I didn't - and a huge "family pool" with an indoor and an outdoor section, jacuzzi seats and one of those "lazy rivers" that whirl you round and round, which I always love. I spent a very happy hour there! Almost as nice as the Rupertustherme I hope to visit in a few days, and certainly a lot cheaper. Talking of which, if I go to the spa again tomorrow, which I probably won't, I must remember to claim a discount with the Achensee card - I I forgot earlier. 

The Swan Whisperer, now dry and safe, walked up to meet me, and now we are having a drink and cooking supper. It is not a warm evening, and there is snow on the more distant mountains. 


No comments:

Post a Comment