30 May 2022

Oberstdorf and more, 30 May 2022

It all went a bit pear-shaped this morning. The Swan Whisperer decided to catch the bus to Achenkirch and walk down to Pertisau via Gaisalm and the dripping rock, and we agreed that I should join him in Pertisau in time for lunch. 

I discovered that there was a steamer at just the perfect time, and what better way to cross the Achensee than on one of the traditional ships? But, sadly, I misread the timetable - quite my own fault - and arrived at the pier just as the boat pulled away! Bother!
The alternative was to catch the bus but, try as I might, I couldn't find the way up to the bus stop, which was on the main road, and the bus went roaring past before I could get there! Expletives rather worse than bother! 

The buses are only one an hour, and although their core routes are the same, some go on to Pertisau, others stop in Maurach, and there doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason which does what. If you do have to change in Maurach, the connections wait for each other. 

So I rang the Swan Whisperer, and we agreed to meet in Maurach an hour later and have lunch there. Which we duly did. We then decided to catch the bus down to Jenbach, which would have been simply glorious had it not been raining, but as it was the scenery was still magnificent. We didn't have long there - just time for a quick look round the station, wishing the Achenseebahn was running (only at weekends for a bit), and then got the bus - and, of course, this one had to be going to Pertisau, didn't it? There was another English family on it, I wondered if they were fans, but didn't like to ask. 

Anyway, our plan was to get off at Eben and visit the church and the museum of St Notburga, the local saint. I gather she was basically a farm labourer, but her cult seems to have grown among the locals and various miracles have been attached to her. The church is very ornate, but rather lovely, even if it does display her dressed-up skeleton above the altar! 

Then we came away and got the bus up to Maurach. It was late, but the connection towards Achenkirch had waited for it, so we caught it back to the campsite. Of course, the sun came out, so after a cup of tea and a nap, the SW went for a short walk along the lakeside - similar, I think, to the one I had enjoyed this morning. I just dozed and read and read and dozed....

There are more photos on Facebook. 

No comments:

Post a Comment