04 March 2024

Early spring holiday 2024, 4 March

Saint-Sulpice-de-Faleyrens, Gironde. 

If you are ever planning to visit Moissac, don't do so on a Monday. Everything, but everything is closed! Bakeries, cafés, the markets, you name it, it's closed on a Monday! 

Moissac is, however, a lovely little town. I spent a very happy fortnight there at Easter 1970, which is a very long time ago.

It was a lovely morning, though - thick fog first thing when the Swan Whisperer went for a run, but then that burned off, and we had a far more pleasant walk than yesterday - the wind had dropped and we were warmly wrapped up. We walked around the town, looking at the house where I had spent my holiday, and at the school that my hostess attended at the time, and I spent two very dull days at! We also looked at the Abbey Church, where I think - I wouldn't swear to it, but I think - I attended an Easter Vigil that year. i simply can't make it not rotate my photos! 
Our first port of call after that was a hypermarket just out of town - these are open seven days a week, of course, although limited hours on a Sunday - where I shopped although I forgot to buy eggs, fizzy water and mixed herbs! Actually, I did remember the mixed herbs, but was tired by then and didn't really want to go looking for them. Anyway, they are on the list for tomorrow. 

By the time I'd done my shopping, it was lunchtime, so we had that and then we drove towards Bordeaux, quite a lot of it on the motorway. I remember us going on to the motorway, and I remember the Swan Whisperer saying he was going to stop to make himself a coffee, but I don't remember leaving the services, nor do I remember coming off the motorway!

I woke up with about 50 kilometres still to go to this little village, where we are parked up outside a cemetery. It is free, and there is no electricity, but there are services that we need to pay for if we decide to use them. It is raining. Again. 

No comments:

Post a Comment