02 March 2024

Early spring holiday 2024, 2 March

Quillan, Occitanie. 

I would absolutely hate to depend on alcohol - or anything else for that matter - to ensure a good night's sleep, but after that wine-tasting yesterday, I slept very well indeed! Not that I'd had a huge amount, at least, I don't think so, but there were rather a lot of bottles to try... Anyway, I was absolutely fine this morning, but didn't hurry out of bed.

We were in no rush, and the Swan Whisperer went for a run. I did go back into the shop just before we left, to say goodbye and to buy some olive oil, but they had run out of it.The harvest was pretty poor last year because of the drought, and they are longing for rain. 
Our first port of call was Lidl, except that I forgot to buy eggs and the SW had to run back to kindly get some for me. Got various other bits and bobs, though, and a couple of things on their coupons. Still need to buy tea and mixed herbs (which I did look for in Lidl, but to no avail; I got some salad seasoning, though, which is always good). 

After we had driven to St-Cyprien and north along the coast, so pretty, and carefully avoided both the motorway and Perpignan, our drive today was mostly along the very lovely D117, which varies between good, straight, fast road, windy hairpins, and cut into the rockface! Great fun, and you don't get bored. Mind you, I did sleep for some of it after we had stopped in a random layby for lunch. 

We are parked up in a Camping-Car Park in Quillan, our first choice, which was in Limoux, where we have been to before, appears to be closed just now.

 Here is good, not too far from the town, which I expect we shall explore tomorrow, and there is WiFi, although it is rather unreliable. I watched a whole episode of Great British Menu before I realised I was on data! Oh well, I still have plenty left and it renews next Sunday. It is unlimited in the UK, but only 25 Gb when travelling. Still, that seems plenty, unless one wishes to watch television all evening, which I don't. 

No comments:

Post a Comment