05 March 2024

Early spring holiday 2024, 5 March

Donzenac`

We were actually supposed to be in Niort tonight, but I gather from Park4Night that much of the aire there is closed due to flooding. So the Swan Whisperer took over planning, and decided that we would go a little back on ourselves and drive down the Dordogne to this village, not far from Brive-la-Gaillarde.

But first, he went for a walk and I pottered around the church (it was locked, so I couldn't go in) and the enormous cemetery attached to it. I thought of going into the village, but it didn't look particularly special, so I didn't bother. 

We thought at first we had made a terrible mistake, as really as far as lunchtime the road just went through industrial estate after commercial centre after industrial estate, with roundabouts every 500 metres or so. Horrible, and very dull.

After we had stopped at one of the many supermarkets we passed, for me to shop and the Swan Whisperer to have his coffee, it began to rain. And it rained. Threw it down! Really nasty.

But when we stopped for lunch in a village called Lilande, the rain stopped, the sun came out again, and the place where we had stopped was absolutely lovely! As, indeed, was the afternoon drive, although I did fall asleep and woke up again before the last 35 km which ended up being on the motorway! Once we got here, it was raining again (there had been some very splendid rainbows en route), to the point that it got really dark and we had to turn the lights on. 

It did clear up a bit later, and the Swan Whisperer went for a walk into the village, which has a mediaeval centre which I should love to see, but, alas, it is up a very steep hill, and well over a kilometer away from here, so it won't be possible. We will drive through in the morning and see if there is anywhere to stop while we are there, but unlikely. I think I shall get my exercise walking to the nearest supermarket, which is about as close as Tesco's to home! 

No comments:

Post a Comment