01 October 2026

Autumn Holiday, 1 October 2026

Plombières-lès-Dijon, France

Happy Black History Month, everybody. 

It was raining when we woke up this morning (at 07:00; I had set the alarm again), so the Swan Whisperer didn't go for a run, but even still we were faffing about a bit over breakfast and so on, so didn't get away until about 10:30. We had hoped to go to the local Carrefour for the day's shopping, but it had a height barrier on its car-park (so short-sighted when there is a popular campsite less than a mile away), so we went to Lidl instead, which had no such thing. Got what I needed, and then we got diesel at a Total petrol station and tried to get air as the tyres were a little low, but it didn't seem to have any. 

So we headed on southwards towards Dijon - this suburb is by the lovely lake we visited last year - stopping for lunch in a layby, and, of course, finding much nicer picnic places a few kilometres down the road. Then we did find a garage that had air, and that is when a minor disaster struck - getting out to help the SW, I caught the little finger of my left hand in the square part of the door frame where the latch goes in. I thought at first I'd broken it, but actually think it's no worse than a severe wrench. But it hurts - typing is actually rather painful - and meant, really, the end of my day, as even though Voltarol gel has taken the worstof the pain away, I am very shaken and have been fit for nothing. The rain is away, but I couldn't face going out for a walk round the lake, although I certainly hope I can in the morning. 

The aire is very full, but I don't think there's more than one French machine here, if that - lots of Belgians and Germans, and at least one other British vehicle, plus one we can't identify. I must stop typing - it hurts too much! 

No comments:

Post a Comment