10 October 2026

Autumn holiday, 10 October 2026

St-Etienne-du-Bois, Ain

This morning, first thing after breakfast, I told the Swan Whisperer that I was going to catch a bus into the city centre and have a proper look round. 

I just missed the bus, so walked for several stops until I came to the place where there were only a few minutes left to wait for the next one. It duly came, and I got off at the station. 

I thought at first that Aix-les-Bains was going to prove rather dull, the only interesting things I saw on the way in were a rather peculiar statue and a "Salon du Chocolat" at the casino. I was tempted to investigate the latter, but decided not to, and walked on. Finally, I hit pay dirt - lovely independent shops, a Monoprix (which I did walk round!), a bakery, where I got bread for lunch and then the local market, both covered and outdoor. I didn't buy anything, but really enjoyed wandering around, until I discovered that the next bus back to the aire was due in 8 minutes, and I needed to get a wiggle on if I were to catch it. 

I did catch it, but made a mistake and stayed on a stop too far. It looked as though it would be nearer, but the road I thought led straight to it ended up on a building site! So I walked down to the lake, enjoying the pollarded limes bordering the lake path, and so back to the WoMo. 

The SW had returned from his own walk by then, so we used the services and headed on, driving cross-country to this little village, where we have been able to park up by the local church (I gather this is very much a Thing, but we are the only WoMo here just now). The drive was a mixture - the usual endless roundabouts and industrial/commercial areas, but also lovely countryside and pretty villages. There was even a rainbow on the side of a hill, which neither of us had ever seen before, but of course as soon as I got my phone out to take a picture, it disappeared! 

No comments:

Post a Comment