02 October 2026

Autumn Holiday 2 October 2026

Bourg-en-Bresse, Auvergne

My finger was a lot better this morning - I was still aware it wasn't quite right, but it didn't really hurt, and I have been able to forget about it. A good night's sleep also got rid of the shock, too, so I was fine this morning. 

The Swan Whisperer went for a run this morning, and called in at a bakery on his way back, so we had a delicious fresh baguette with our breakfast (and the end of it for lunch). After this, we walked round the lovely Lac du Kir, enjoying watching a group of schoolkids canoeing and kayaking under the stern eye of a couple of instructors, and also some wildfowl. But the best bit was that I caught a glimpse of a marvellous fox leaping through the undergrowth. The Swan Whisperer isn't quite sure that's what I saw - he didn't see it - but it was a lovely fox red, and I saw the torso and then its marvellous brush. It must have been in wonderful condition - all those ducklings and goslings and cootlings - cootlets? - and moorchicks it will have been feeding on all summer!

Anyway, we walked round he lake and got hotter and hotter. It had been a cool morning, but the sun came out and the temperature rose. We regretted our long sleeved shirts and my jacket! 

When we got back to the WoMo, the SW had his coffee and then we used the services before heading on. Our first stop was in a random car-park in a village somewhere, beside a rather rough sports ground to which a group of young schoolchildren - no older than Year 2, if that, we didn't think - came to play some team game or other. We were rather shocked that there was only one adult with them - what if one of them hurt themselves and had to be taken back to school? Anyway, when we left, they were all starting to play (not an organised game, but something their teacher had made up) except for one small boy who was sitting between the goal posts watching. He wore specs, so we didn't know whether he was neurodivergent and allowed not to play if he didn't want to, didn't play because he was short-sighted, or was injured or disabled in some way. I hope that neither he nor any of the other children went home with grass stains on their bums; their parents would not be impressed! 

We drove on. The trouble with going cross country, as we have done so far, is that the drives are far too interesting for me to want to go to sleep! Very interesting country, especially once we got into the Bresse region, where there were lots of cattle, both Charolais and MontbĂ©liard, and huge fields full of the white hens for which the area is so famous. 

We got here about 4:00, "here" being a free aire on the outskirts of Bourg-en-Bresse, and after a cup of tea the SW went for yet another walk, and on his way back called in at the Lidl that is only a couple of hundred metres away to get some beer. Apparently it is an absolutely massive one, about the size of a Tesco Extra at home, so I'm looking forward to visiting it in the morning! I hope it sells fresh milk - I've never seen it in any Lidl here, but live in hope - so then we won't have to stop off at an E Leclerc or similar. 

No comments:

Post a Comment