18 May 2024

Late spring holiday 2024; Saturday 18 May

Düren, Nordrhein-Westfalen

We hadn't actually planned to end up here today. But there was a parkrun in Esslingen, on the outskirts of Stuttgart, so of course the first thing we had to do was drive there. I cleared off my nightstand, but didn't shower and dress, as I could - and did - do that while the Swan Whisperer was parkrunning alongside the Necker. So the first 25 km or so of today's journey was done with me in dressing-gown and slippers, with a rug over my knees! However, by the time the Swan Whisperer came back I was clean and tidy, and had had my breakfast. He had his, and then we set out, finding a ReWe to do a Last Shop in Germany, and a cheap petrol station to fill up with diesel. 

I had not been quite happy with where we had planned to spend the night, in France, as it had been a horribly long run last year, and although we hadn't planned to be in quite the same place, it had taken far longer than we thought to get back to the Calais area. So I thought I'd ask What's Halfway for its opinion, which was somewhere around Cologne, so the Swan Whisperer said We Might As Well Go To Düren. I said it would be a horribly long drive, but hey. 

But what with one thing and another, it was past noon before we got properly under way, and with a stop for lunch and another stop for the SW to have coffee, roadworks and pouring rain, it was nearly 19:00 before we got here and parked up. Luckily it is fine here (for now) and there was a space available, so we parked and plugged into the electricity, and then I went to Lidl for a last Last Shop in Germany while the SW got supper. He has just been for a loosen-up walk. 

There will be no possibility of shopping tomorrow, as shops in Germany aren't open on Sundays, and in France they close at noon, but Carrefour will be open in Cité Europe on Monday, even though it will be a public holiday - it has reduced hours. Tomorrow will be a long, long drive again, but I hope we will get away a very great deal earlier. 

No comments:

Post a Comment