16 May 2024

Late spring holiday 2024; Thursday 16 May

Oberstdorf, Allgäu, Bavaria
Competition day 5

This is being written in two halves, as I have had such a frustrating morning! All due to factors outwith my control! First of all, something seems to have gone wrong with the 5g signal here, which, although never great, at least worked. Now we seem reduced to 3g, and barely that! This also applies to the Swan Whisperer, so it's definitely them-not-us. Anyway, not realising this, I bought a cheap book on Amazon, all of 99p, and can't now get it to download to my Kindle. It is on my Fire, so I can read it there, but the Kindle will neither let me sign in to the free WiFi here on site nor connect to the hot spot! I tried rebooting my phone, I turned it off and on again.... 

Anyway, this morning's very large class had a friend skating first, then a couple of others towards the end, a couple of hours later. So I went up to the rink to watch the first skater, and then went to catch the bus into town as I wanted to go to Lidl.

The bus didn't come, and I had to wait for the next one. I got to Lidl, but of course had almost no signal, but luckily I remembered that it has free Wi-Fi in store in the UK, and decided to check to see if it does here, which it does. So I did my shopping, and then just missed a bus going back. The driver saw me running and pulled away, in the fashion of bus drivers all over the world.

So that was another 20 minutes to wait - I went over to Muller to see if they had any 4711 shower gel, but they didn't. Then I went back to wait for the next bus which was, of course, late. And by the time I'd gone back to the WoMo, put the perishable in the fridge, grabbed my rucksack and gone back to the rink, one of the skaters I'd wanted to see had already been! And no sign of the Swan Whisperer, who had gone on a hike with W this morning. Anyway, I saw the other skater I wanted to see, and then came back here, very frustrated at having been up to the rink twice to watch one skater each time. It is now lunchtime. 

Later: So, after lunch I went to sleep for a bit, and when I woke up, I found my insides had gone back on me, and Immodium was rather necessary. I hope it was because I scored a free iced coffee drink in Lidl, only I don't think the coupon worked, and I was thirsty so I drank it - my insides aren't used to all that milk. It wasn't even very nice! Anyway, I took some Immodium and also some oil of peppermint, which helped. 

Went back up to the rink to watch the rhythm dances, which were very good, and stayed on to watch some of the Gold and Masters Women who are friends. There was than a gap between them and the Masters III men, who are always worth watching. However, I really didn't want to go up and down to the rink again today, so decided that, regretfully, I would have to watch them on livestream. The SW, tireless as ever, has gone back to watch them live. 

Meanwhile, just before we left, there was a small presentation honouring Sissy Krick, who is retiring as a judge, but who has been an integral part of adult skating, and a significant part of setting up the ISU competitions. She is very popular and always gets a cheer when announced as judge and/or referee - she will be missed! 

Tomorrow our exit ticket for the Wohnmobilstellplatz expires at 14:00, so we will have to be all ready to leave before then, probably missing several skaters we would have liked to have seen. Oh well. As well we checked, or we might have had to pay for an extra night! 

No comments:

Post a Comment